LOVE rush!

Rush. Is hard. It kind of makes me want to squeeze my head between my knees and rock back and forth in the fetal position while moaning, "Please don't hurt me, please. I will give you anything. I will pretend there is a student discount. Please just let me out alive."
Today started out...interestingly. The morning was quiet for a bit, until a lovely little man approached me. And by lovely, I mean, awful, horrid little troll.
He slaps down an atlas. "Do you have any discount cards?" I chirp. Yes, I'm chirping.
"No."
I scan the atlas and say the price. He shoves a card at me. As I--and all my co-workers--do every single time we run a card, I flip it over to check for a signature. There isn't one.
"May I see a photo ID?"
"What are you talking about?"
"The card isn't signed, so I need to see ID."
"Use debit," he says, a tad too forcefully.
"We actually don't have a debit option...everything runs through as credit. If I could just see some ID..."
"IT IS ILLEGAL TO ASK FOR ID."
Huh.
"Well...it's a company policy to require ID with all unsigned cards."
"YOU WANT A SIGNED CARD? I'LL GIVE YOU A SIGNED CARD."
He grabs the pen in my hand and starts to sign the card.
"Sir, I really just need to see ID. It's a security measure for your protection."
Throughout this whole interaction I've been very pleasant. He's like my fourth customer of the day, I've eaten breakfast, I've had tea, and I woke up before my alarm. That's pretty much the absolute BEST you will ever get me before 10am.
So his next move pretty much astonishes me.
"FINE. HAVE IT YOUR WAY." And he flings the atlas across the desk, hitting me square in the stomach. It drops to the floor as I step back, shocked. He did it with about ten times more force than this guy.
I just stand there for a minute. I'm pissed. I did NOTHING wrong. I followed procedure, I was very nice, and I still got an atlas thrown at me. This man has been a nuisance before--he yelled at me one morning about having to wait to buy his book because people were standing around and talking. Yes, we were standing and talking... at the daily morning meeting we have with the store manager before the store was even open. And another morning he got mad at me for not being able to break a one hundred dollar bill. When he was my first transaction. And was buying a $3 magazine. He got waaaay too angry that time, so this current interaction was the last straw.
I mean, I'm not a morning person. But sheeesh.
So I pick up the phone, call LP, and file a report. This guy will no longer be bothering anyone at my store, as he's now banned. The university police even came and took a statement (LP takes these things seriously!).

Don't fuck with the lords of hell?
Don't fuck with the babysitter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just how I feel, except I got to ban the asshole costomer today... and he was a freshman who threw a textbook!

One more week of hell, just one more week of hell!

-JRH