Recaps.

My boss takes our weekly recap sheet every Friday morning. My staff is very good about finishing the recaps by Thursday night so that she has time to write her own recap for the regional manger on Friday.
At 11am she had asked me to bring her the sheets. I always review them first to check for inconsistencies or errors.
The middle of the packet was incomplete--a simple error when five different people are flipping through paperwork during the day. Not a big deal, but something I needed to immediately tend to, as my boss was waiting for the numbers.
I'm sitting at the computer, quickly crunching numbers, when a customer walks up to me.
"Should I pay here...or somewhere else?"
"You can pay here!" I say. I pause to finish recording a number.
"You look bored," he says.
Which is such a weird statement. I mean, I'm bored at my job a lot. It's not stimulating or challenging or mind-bending in any sort of way. But when he approached me I was very engaged with the more interesting of the tasks that my job offers. I was anything but bored.
"Oh, no, not bored at all...just a little concerned with some tasks and stressed about getting everything accomplished..."
And then.
And then he says to me: "I can't really imagine that your job would be very stressful." A statement that sounds innocuous when written, but the tone he had...
I refrain myself from saying, "Customers like you."
Instead I say, "Well, we all have deadlines!"
I just...was he trying to make conversation? Reaching out to the poor folk? Because he made a completely irrelevant statement (You look bored) and then told me that I had no right being stressed out (meaning, I shouldn't be concerned about job performance) at said job.
He says, "Well, summer is a bit quieter around here."
I agree with him, but explain that, because it's quieter, we attend to a lot of projects during this time.
"Well," he says, picking up his bag, "hope you stop being so bored at work!"
DIDN'T WE JUST ESTABLISH THAT I'M NOT FROLICKING IN A FIELD SCATTERING WILD FLOWERS AND HUMMING NURSERY RHYMES ALL DAY?

I am not bored at work. I have a lot of things to do. Sure, it isn't finding the next cancer cure, but if you want to walk into a well-stocked fiction department, I suggest you come to me. It's unlikely that you'll leave disappointed.

No comments: